Now that you're following a diabetic diet, it's not always easy to enjoy some of our childhood favorites. Luckily, we've found a way around that! This Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese is a low-carb version that's full of that down-home goodness you love.
- Olive Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower, cut into florets - 1 head
- Margarine, divided - 2 tablespoons
- Whole Wheat Flour - 2 tablespoons
- Low Fat Milk - 1 cup
- Yellow Mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Shredded Reduced-Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese - 1 1/2 cup
- Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs - 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, salt, pepper, onion, and cauliflower; toss until cauliflower is evenly coated. Place on baking sheet and cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1-1/2 tablespoons margarine; whisk in flour. Add milk and whisk until sauce thickens. Stir in mustard, garlic powder, and cheese until smooth. Add cauliflower and mix well. Pour into 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, melt remaining 1/2 tablespoon margarine and stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over cauliflower.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.