Add to Favourites
Low-Carb Grilled Cheese
This recipe for Low-Carb Grilled Cheese will have you rethinking everything about your diabetic diet, because it uses a special ingredient to make a childhood favorite diabetic-friendly!
- Cauliflower, cut into florets - 1 head
- Shredded Low-Fat Mozzarella Cheese - 1/2 cup
- Liquid Egg Substitute - 1/4 cup
- Onion Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground Black Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- Shredded Low-Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese - 1/2 cup
- Light Margarine, divided - 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, place the cauliflower and pulse just until finely chopped. Place in a medium microwaveable bowl and microwave 8 to 9 minutes, or until soft. Place cauliflower in a strainer and press down hard with a paper towel to squeeze out water.
- Place cauliflower in a large bowl. Add mozzarella cheese, egg substitute, onion powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Spread mixture on baking sheet and shape into four 4-inch squares.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Let cool 10 minutes, then gently remove from parchment paper to a flat surface. Evenly sprinkle Cheddar cheese on 2 cauliflower squares and top with remaining squares.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 teaspoon margarine. Place cauliflower sandwiches in skillet and spread remaining margarine on top side. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown; gently flip over and cook another 2 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted.