Smoky Ham and Split Pea Soup
- Dried Green Split Peas, rinsed and drained - 1 pound
- Cubed Peeled Yukon Gold Potatoes - 1 1/2 cups
- Garlic Cloves, Chopped - 5
- Chopped Celery - 1 cup
- Chopped Peeled Carrot - 1 cup
- Large Bay Leaf - 1
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Kosher Salt - 3/4 teaspoon
- Smoked Ham Hocks - 2 pounds
- Water - 6 cups
- Light Sour Cream - 1/2 cup
Layer peas and next 9 ingredients (through ham) in order listed in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Gently pour 6 cups water over top. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Remove ham hocks from slow cooker. Remove meat from bones, and cut into bite-sized pieces; discard skin and bones. Discard bay leaf.
Coarsely mash soup to desired consistency, adding additional hot water to thin, if desired. Stir in chopped ham. Divide soup evenly among 8 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.