Add to Favourites
Zesty Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes don't have to be a thing of the past with this recipe!
- Lean Ground Beef - 1 1/2 pounds
- Chopped Onion - 1 cup
- Garlic, minced - 1 clove
- Vegetable Juice - 1 can (6 ounce)
- Catsup - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- No-Calorie, Heat-Stable Granular Sugar Substitute - 2 tablespoons
- Chopped, Canned Jalapeno Peppers - 2 tablespoons
- Prepared Mustard - 1 tablespoon
- Chili Powder - 2 teaspoons
- Worcestershire Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns, split & toasted - 8
- Shredded Reduced-Fat Cheddar Cheese
- In a large skillet cook ground beef*, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. *TIP: You can substitute lean ground turkey (at least 93 percent lean, or 93/7) in place of ground beef.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine vegetable juice, catsup, water, sugar substitute, jalapeno peppers (if desired), mustard, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. Spoon meat mixture onto bun halves. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and serve with sweet pepper strips. Makes 8 servings.